As electrification becomes more prevalent across many different classes and types of vehicles, the technology that drives its backbone of systems and components continues to advance. This is especially true with batteries, where gains in efficiency, size, charge time, and capacity seem to be ever moving.
To continue to push these gains with battery technology, companies have been looking to raise the bar with DC voltage levels seen within these energy storage systems. This is largely due to the continued trend for increased motor power in electric vehicles. Without higher voltages, to increase motor power, the current would have to rise. This would cause system losses and create the need for additional copper to carry this current, ultimately resulting in heavier vehicles.
The importance of measuring rising battery voltage
And as battery voltage continues to rise, so does the importance associated with measuring it, and doing so in a safe way. This is where product solutions from Knick Interface have proven to bring real value. Knick’s voltage transducers perform in applications upward of 4800 VDC, both from standpoints of measurement and electrical isolation capability. Quality is brought with the following:
- Accuracy: Measurement error < 0.10% of measured value with most products
- Safety: Complete electrical isolation (working voltage) up to 4800 VDC, and tested up to 18 kVAC
- Speed: Cutoff frequencies to > 10kHz and response time (T90) to < 60 μs
- Flexibility: Configurable, calibrated input/output ranges and universal power supply (20-253 VAC/DC)
Applications for Knick Interface electrical measurement solutions associated with battery-based environments have proven to be diverse. Some of the use cases include:
- Battery charge and discharge level confirmation
- Calculations within test stands
- Control of systems on high battery potential
- DC-to-DC converters
- Measurements within charging systems/stations
- Inverter DC link voltage
- Safety detection of “power-off” status
For further information on Knick Interface’s range of electrical measurement solutions, click here.
General Manager at Knick Interface LLC, USA
Phone: +1 888 62 KNICK